Friday, March 4, 2011

Applying for Singapore Airlines as Cabin Crew



This is not a "WANTED" post.


A few months ago, as I was browsing through the internet I came across a job opening for a cabin crew position. The Singapore Airlines was having a walk-in interview. I read all the requirements then I knew it was not for me because the applicant has to be a Singaporean or a Malaysian. But then I was not convinced. I researched the internet if SIA is accepting applicants from other nationalities. I found out that they are considering foreigners but I never saw "Filipino" as included. I proceeded, however, with completing the application form I downloaded online. I was crossing my fingers hoping that they would consider a Filipino.

Together with my overly excited sister, who was actually the master mind of the whole flight attendant career option, I went to the interview. I was wearing a black semi formal dress. Please see picture below.
It was something nearly like that dress. But not the blonde hair. So we went up to the 4th floor and saw the very expansive hall. I walked up straight to the receiving table passing through a section where smartly-dressed boys and girls wait around. I asked the lady at front desk if it was the walk in interview for SIA's cabin crew. She asked me if I signed up already. They handed me a blank application form and told me to fill it out. Oh, it was the same application form I downloaded and completed few days ago. I was so ready for it. :))) I told the lady that I have it already. She was about to give me the next instruction when she asked about my nationality. I told her that I am a Filipino. And the officers sitting were a bit dismayed (just as I was) to tell me that they were not hiring Filipinos. I got upset for 2o seconds then we left the hall. I said thanks to them. Thanks also to the adjacent hall where there was a SALE! We went there and spent some 30 minutes drooling because I dont have money. :))))


I related my experience with some of my friends and they think that it sounded a bit "racist". I researched further and found out that SIA accepts Singaporean, Malaysian, Indonesian, Japanese, Taiwanese, Korean, Chinese and Indians (Source: Ex-SIA CC blogger). Oh so no Filipinos... Ok so maybe next time I'll try again IF I get to marry a Singaporean. LOLs! JOKESSSSSS forever. I haven't checked if they accept PR (Singapore Permanent Resident). It doesn't matter, I'm not a PR anyway. :))))

-------------------------------
Remuneration & Service Benefits (Cabin Crew)
A monthly allowance will be provided during training. Upon graduation, you can look forward to a basic salary and various allowances amounting to about $3,500 a month. In addition, there is an annual wage supplement of one month’s basic salary and profit-sharing bonus. You will also be entitled to free travel to any SIA destination once a year and enjoy discounted travel at other times.
(www.singaporeair.com)


Wow right?? :))) That's why I kept telling myself that day, sana pwede sana pwede sana pwede pinoy. HAHA :)))

Well, good luck to others who'll pursue this career!!! :)

13 comments:

Lola Yeah! said...

Mula ng mabasa ko ito marn,hindi na ako naging mapayapa.Iniisip ko kung ano ang meron o kaya wala sa isang pilipino at meron o kaya wala sa ibang kapitbahay nating asean.Anyway,anuman ang rason nila,sila lang at ang makapangyarihang Dios ang nakakaalam.Haharap din sila sa Panginoon,balang araw.Marn ok lang un,sana wag kang maapektuhan.Patuloy mong hanapin ang bigay ng Lord para sa iyo,wag ka nawa pang hinaan ng iyong kalooban,bagkus patuloy mong purihin ang kanyang kagandahang loob.

Anonymous said...

this is not new to some Filipinos..its really sad but this is the truth nowadays. anyway marnie bilang ka-lahi mo i am saddened by what had happened but as your mom says just continue in your walk with our God!(Psalm 37)..if you want to be encourage and get inspired by some filipinos who fought not physically but with great intelligence and heart visit the sites below:
www.thebrownraise.org;historyko.org;anglahiusa.com

God bless and more power to all of us with Christ in us!

chloe said...

i just hope they'LL accept filipinas. there's nothing wrong in being a filipina, we are more dedicated to our work and more hospitable and "impossible" is not in our dictionary.

Anonymous said...

This really sucks. I had been dreaming that one day I will be a part of SIA's Cabin crew. I am a Hospitality Student, and hoping to go for Airlines. I am a big fan of Singapore Airlines, halos when I have time eh I will visit their site and read about the careers, nagtataka din ako minsan kung bakit walang Philippines na andun, pero sabi ko nalang, baka di lang nalagay pero meron talaga. Pero ngayon na nabasa ko toh, wala na. My dreams had been crushed, it's a bit harsh, lahat na ng Asian countries andun maliban nalang sa Philippines, parang di tayo part ng Asia ha. I am very dissapointed in them. Makes me cry just thinking about it. Haaayyy! :(

Anonymous said...

hayz..:(

Anonymous said...

Actually, natakot sila kasi may mga nagsstrike na Filipinas sa airlines. Palaban kasi masyado ang mga Filipina.

triciamae_09 said...

Marnie! Pangarap ko maging FA. Haha! Wala lang. Naimagine kita na nagapply talaga. Ibang klase ka Haha!

triciamae_09 said...

Marnie! Pangarap ko maging FA. Haha! Wala lang. Naimagine kita na nagapply talaga. Ibang klase ka Haha!

Anonymous said...

Do NOT come to Singapore. Do NOT.

triciamae_09 said...

marnieeeeeeeeeeee! i miss you!!!! haha! bakit di ka na nagbloblog? patty to. :) may blog na rin ako haha

Anonymous said...

Damay tayong lahat sa naging hindi magandang experience ng SIA sa ilan nating kababayan. Ayan.

Anonymous said...

They do not hire Filipinos bec of what happened sa Cathay Pacific. Remember naparalisa and operations ng Cathay ng mag-strike ang mga pinoy crews nung 90's. Ayan din ang rason sa palagay ko with Emirates Airlines na 3 taon na hindi nag-hire ng pinoy kung saan binansagan Filipino mafia ang mga pinoy crews dahil sa sobra dami nila dun, natakot sila sa maaring manyari kung magstrike sila (kasagsagan ng PAL strike nung time na yun)kaya on hold muna hiring nila ng Pinoy.

miscdose said...



Health and Nutrition