Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My endeavor to make Banana Chips

My first attempt to make banana chips L-)

Soaking of bananas to sugar syrup prior to 2nd frying

The first frying @280F, 5min

Is this a cavendish?

My inspiration (haha) and where I also got the procedure for my BC pictured above:

EFFECT OF THE STAGE OF MATURITY AND TIME-TEMPERATURE FRYING CONDITIONS ON THE QUALITY OF BANANA CHIPS (CAVENDISH VARIETY). Maria Theresa M. Pena. U of the Philippines at Diliman, 1982. Quezon City, Philippines. 107 p. (Unpublished BS Thesis).


The possibility is: Improvement and standardization of Banana Chip making :)
---> which, as advised, may not be very relevant for BC industries who are already exporting.


I chose the Cavendish banana! It is usually bland in taste and is mainly produced in Mindanao (look at the label, it says there "DAVAO"! :D). This type easily goes off that's why in most areas bulk of bananas goes to waste. And making these type into chips saves the day, spares wastage, provides income especially for the low-income groups.

I'm still looking into the process flow of BC making and getting familiar with it. At present, I'm contacting a not-so-bigtime exporting manufacturer based in Cavite. Yahoo! Go Marnie!! :0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yummm